Golden Fruit Cake
PREP: 30MINS + 5-7 DAYS SOAKING TIME | COOK: 3 – 3 1/2 HRS | SERVES: 20
Combine fruit and 1/2 cup of brandy in a large bowl. Cover and store in a cool, dark place for 5-7 days, stirring each day.
Preheat oven to 150°C and grease a 22cm round deep cake tin. Line with three layers of brown paper, extending papers 5cm above rim
- Stir slivered almonds, pineapple and grated apple into fruit mixture. Set aside
- Beat butter, caster sugar and brown sugar together until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined. Add to fruit mixture and mix well.
- Stir sifted dry ingredients through the wet mix. Spread evenly into pan. Tap pan several times on bench to settle the mixture.
- Decorate with blanched almonds. Bake for 3-3 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave hot cake in the tin and wrap in foil, then a thick tea towel to cool overnight.