Classic Christmas Pudding
PREP: 60 MINS | COOK: 6 HOURS | SERVES: 10
- Combine fruit, brandy, rinds and apple. Cover and set aside overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, beat in golden syrup. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Combine breadcrumbs, flour, spices and almonds. Add creamed butter mixture and soaked fruit, mixing well to combine.
- Grease a 2 litre capacity pudding basin, line the base with a double layer of baking paper.
- Spoon mixture into the basin and smooth top. Double line the top with baking paper rounds.
- Take a 60cm long piece of baking paper and 60cm piece of foil, layer and fold in half, make a 3cm pleat in the middle (this allows for any expansionof the pudding). Place sheets over pudding and secure tightly with string. Place a wire rack onto the base of a large saucepan, fill one third with water and bring to boil. Carefully place pudding onto wire rack making sure the water level comes about halfway up pudding basin. Cover and simmer for 6 hours, replenish water when needed.
- Remove from water, stand for 10 minutes before turning out. Serve cut into slices with cream and maple syrup.