Boiled Fruit Cake
PREP: 30MINS | COOK: 90MINS | SERVES: APPROX. 10
- Soak fruit overnight in sherry or brandy
- Place soaked fruit, water, butter, golden syrup and sugar in a saucepan. Slowly bring to the boil then remove from heat and add bicarbonate of soda mixed with one tablespoon boiling water. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Add lightly beaten eggs mixing thoroughly. Fold in sifted flours, spices and vanilla essence.
- Place in a 20cm round or square cake tin. Decorate with almonds. Bake at 160°C for 75 to 90 minutes. Cool in tin.
Thermo cooker method:
- Soak fruit overnight in sherry or brandy.
- Place soaked fruit, water, butter, golden syrup and sugar into TM bowl and heat 7 min/100°C/Reverse/speed 1.
- Add bicarb soda mixed with one tablespoon boiling water and gently stir through with the spatula – the mix will froth up but should not spill over.
- Cool for 15 minutes in TM bowl.
- Carefully add all remaining ingredients apart from the blanched almonds in the order listed and mix 10 sec/Reverse/speed 4.
- Scrape down sides of the bowl and mix 5 sec/Reverse/speed 4.
- Place in a lined 20cm round or square cake tin. Decorate with almonds. Bake at 160ºC for 1¼ to 1½ hours. Cool in tin.